February 23, 2024

A group, Movement For Equity, MFE, has asked Ọba Afolabi Olaoye, not to be disturbed by Wednesday’s high court judgment that nullified his selection and installation as Soun of Ogbomoso.

According to the group, the judgement is a temporary setback, expressing optimism that the appellate court would vindicate Ọba Laoye.

Oba Olaoye, a pastor and international businessman, had few weeks ago, been selected by the kingmakers as the new Soun of Ogbomoso.

His selection was then approved by the Oyo State governor, Seyi Makinde, on 2 September and he was installed by the kingmakers on 8 September.

The stool had become vacant after the demise of Oba Jimoh Oyewumi, Ajagungbade III, in December 2021 at the age of 95 after he reigned for 48 years.

Ruling on a petition brought before it by Kabir Olaoye, the court presided over by Justice K.A. Adedokun, yesterday nullified the selection and installation.

Reacting to the judgement which the group described as a rude shock, Olalere Waheed, coordinator of the group said the same judge had earlier given a judgement in the same court in a suit brought by another prince, Taofik Olaoye. He described the judgement as conflicting.

“Given that this same judge, in the same court 21 days ago, in another similar suit instituted by Prince Taofik Olaoye, gave a judgement in favour of Ọba Laoye, we wonder what has now happened between then and now? The court of appeal will resolve that in favour of Ọba Olaoye. We have no fear ara all. People should be calm,” he counseled.

Waheed explained further that he knows Ọba Olaoye as a law-abiding person, adding that he was surprised that the court can overrule itself.

He said he was sure Ọba Olaoye would get justice at the appellate court, urging him to call for calm within the domain “because some never-do-wells may want to use the issue to foment trouble so as to paint the monarch in bad light.”

Share this via

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *